05 March, 2011

Video Update from Auckland




If Auckland is any indication of how the rest of New Zealand operates for internet, be expecting way more video posts.
This was taken at the top of Mt. Eden. Some notes to this. I have been in Auckland trying to acquire a car (more specifically a campervan). Most companies want to charge about $2,000 ish for about a month, which is not going to happen. I found one that is about $500 less after much toil, but once again, the pain in the ass factor is coming into play and I haven't heard from them about it even though I booked it. The good thing about this company is that if I hire it for over 25 days, every other day is 1/2 off for the rest of the year. AND they are in Australia too. However, anything that can go wrong, has, and to say that this has been a nightmare is an understatement. The thing is, there are 3 ways to travel here. Tours, car, and hitchhiking. The public system doesn't go anywhere you want. The tours are restrictive. Hitchhiking, while safe and easy here, has it's limitations too. The only real way, and this has been confirmed by many locals is car or camper rental.
If I have to pay $2,000, I'll just buy one. If I can't sell it, I will just leave it at the airport and call it a wash since that's what I would have paid. On the other hand, if I can sell it, I just made NZ cost about 1/5 what it should. The problem is time though. If I choose the buying route, there is a good chance that I won't be able to sell it before I leave (or I will have to spend a week in Christchurch before my flight.
The last thing is time at the front end. I have been in Auckland for 4 days and I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I feel like I am burning money, and, more importantly, time. I am ready to head out to see the rest of NZ and am done "sneaking" into maritime museums - I'm not sure if they are too honest or ignorant to believe that a sign saying that exhibits are for ticket holders only and no employees to check tickets will keep people from entering. If this continues more than tomorrow, I am hitchhiking. That isn't a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment