16 November, 2010

Taganga and Tyrona

Today, I came back from Tyrona. Tyrona is an amazingly beautiful place. It looks like the opening scene from Jarassic Park, and in fact might be. I came from Taganga the day before by boat, which I recommend because its faster and takes you directly to the best spot in the park. I foolhardy walked the path to Arrefices. This path consists of 30% mud, and when I say mud I mean above your ankles and an odor reminiscent of shit. I wanted to see as much as I could but once I got to the end I really didn't want to walk back. So, I stayed at a place that was recommended by someone I met as well as the guide book.

I was one of 8 people staying there that night. Luckily, the other people were my age and so we hung out that evening, playing Yahtzee and drinking some beers. The UK guy was the first I've met where I haven't liked having around. UK and Ozzies are the most common people so far. Anyway, the rest were alright. I slept in a hammock under a leaf roof without a mosquito net. Mozzies, as the Ozzies call them, are driving everyone nuts. My legs are fucking covered. However, this particular place didn't have a single one. Oh yeah, and if anyone goes to Tyrona, bring something warm to sleep in cause I brought a light coat, jeans, and shoes to sleep in and still got cold.
I was going to try to hike to Pueblito, but it was so nice and sunny that I ended up beach hopping with the people from camp. I finally made my way back to where the boat goes (San Juan), which is the best place and I should've stayed there (my recommendation is to not waste your time with the other places cause of the mud trail and the beaches aren't as nice).
I'm back in Taganga now, but leave tomorrow on a jet plane for Bogota. Taganga is great and will be hard to leave. It has just the right amount of shit to do, but also small feel where you can relax. It also has cheap diving, and because of that I am now have my advanced certification. My favorite dive was a night dive where I saw octopus, eel, a fish in a bubble, a crab pinching a fish in the gills, a tiger fish, plus if you turn your torch off you can see phosphoresence (it lights up bluish when there's motion).

I know there's more to say, but it's a pain in the ass to write these from my phone and I'm getting tired. So, I'm a gonna peace out.
D

4 comments:

  1. Looks like mud and smells like shit? I hate to break it you buddy but... that ain't mud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how does a fish get in a bubble?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dad also wonders who put it in the bubble?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, gray mud. Maybe the locals have a bad diet.
    The fish creates the bubble. The bubble is a defense mechanism while it sleeps. If something breaks the bubble the fish wakes up and gets out of there.

    ReplyDelete