23 March, 2011

Update from the South South Island



I forgot to mention the most amazing place in New Zealand yet. The Fiordlands! I went there for 2 days, and would have stayed more but was pushing my luck already.
So, I got in the afternoon to Milford Sound, which is actually a fiord. The difference being that Fiords are created by Glaciers and Sounds by water. Anyway, it is one of the most amazing sites you'll ever see! The mountains jet straight out of the sea 1,500 meters and seem to tear at the sky with their saw teeth. I took a cruise there late in the afternoon that lasted 2 hours and they give out some information about the area, as well as, take the boat under a couple waterfalls. I know there is an alternative fiord you can visit, but I couldn't remember where or how. So, I went to Milford, which I needed to do just cause of the 1.5 hour drive through the national park.
Watch out for the tunnel! It is the most dangerous tunnel I've ever encountered. They just blasted a hole, didn't seem to reinforce it, and it can only go one way. They operate a traffic light system to, but turn it off at 6pm. Fucking scary driving that thing after six.
I wanted to stay in the Milford, but of course there was no place to put the camper. So, I drove towards the exit of the national park. Eventually, it started to get dark and I reached a good hiking area. It was not legal to campervan there, but there were many people doing it, so I figured safety in numbers. Didn't sleep well that night cause I thought I kept hearing the ranger coming into the lot. Turned out fine and had a great hike the next day. There are many multi-days there, but you have to book in advance. I did a few more smaller day hikes as I headed out looking for a free camping spot. Never did find one and didn't feel like risking the fine again, so I found a place along the "scenic southern highway", which has no scenery, just overcrowded sheep farms.
Now I'm off to look for another sneaky place to camp in-between the southern most city and Dunedin.

No comments:

Post a Comment