27 October, 2010

Update From Pavones Costa Rica

Hey everyone.
I have a little down time at the moment, so I figure I will post some brief updates.

First, I met up with my brothers at the airport in San Jose. They got in about 20:45 so we took a taxi to a really neat hostel in San Jose called something like Pangaea. From the outside it looks like you're going to get mugged. Then they slide the giant metal door open and a modern looking hostel appears. They had a bar, internet, pool, and made the hallways look like outdoor verandas. From the deck you could see the local prostitutes. The next day we took a shared van to Manuel Antonio.
Manuel Antonio is situated right next to a pretty awesome park, so the next day we spent the day in the park and hiked every trail. There were so many animals it was crazy. We saw a sloth, iguana, 2 types of monkeys, a couple of other animals I can't remember, and almost howler monkeys.
We got a little drunk that night with some new friends and decided to take a hungover bus ride to Dominical.
Dominical is a surfer town. It is super laid back, but there is nothing to do but surf. The waves were really awful and knarly, so we decided to head down to Pavones.
Pavones is located in the very South East part of Costa Rica. It is almost literally at the end of the road. We got almost there by van, but the road had washed out and we had to walk about 20 minutes to town. There is virtually no tourists here. Maybe about 10. There are 3 places to eat and drink. However, there is stuff to do if you can't sit still for long. There's cheap horseback riding, sport fishing, surfing, etc. The surf here is supposed to draw amazing surfers cause it is the second longest ride going left in the world. Plus it's fast and can get pretty big. Ed and I wanted to surf it, but it hasn't looked too good. It's too small today and with the rains there is sediment in it from the rivers. It's nasty, and we are debating whether to stay another day or leave tomorrow at 5:30 AM. Its cool out here and I'd probably stay another day if I was on my own, but the guys are restless and our plans for Panama seem to be much more fun/eventful.

Costa Rica is sweet. It seems to have a good balance between being cheap but not scary poor like Belize. I immediately liked it. I can't explain the differences and why I like it more just yet. Maybe by next post I'll have figured it out.
D

1 comment:

  1. My good friend Brian Thornhill's older brother Justin lives in Dominical and runs a surf shop called El Tubo Surf....Maybe hit him up. Im sure he'd show you around :) He prob wont remeember me, but if you mention Brians name that's a different story. keep having fun Dylan :)

    ReplyDelete