03 February, 2010

January update

So, I realize that probably no one is following this blog and that's fine because it's for me anyway. If anyone is, here's an update of what's been going on with me.
I went to Utah mid-January for 10 days. the skiing wasn't very good. they hadn't gotten snow in awhile and the inversion had decreased the snow pack quite a bit. So much so that I had to repair my bases twice within a few days. On top of that, it didn't snow at all while I there.

I finished to great books that I highly recommend. One was called "Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel". This is a great book about the art of long term travel. I say art, but it's more than that. It was lite on hard practical advice, but if you read it you'll understand why - spoiler: it's. because long term travel is so variable all you can really plan for are the basics and let yourself go with the flow. The book does a very good job of getting you excited, even while letting you know that you can expect not all of it to be fun. The big take away message is: good and bad things will happen, none of which you can predict, but that's the way life is and long-term traveling will connect you in a very primal way back to "life".
The second book was "the 4 Hour Work Week". I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who doesn't like the idea of working 40 hours a week until they are 65, only to start enjoying life when their bodies are no longer capable. Or to people who feel like they were meant for something more or there's stuff out there they are missing. Or even someone who doesn't want to wait to fulfill a dream or two. This book isn't just a pie in the sky, it gives step by step directions. Get this book if for novitiate more than to free up a little time for yourself or to get you excited about stuff again.
Another thing that's been going on is that I am trying to start a business. For now, it will remain a secret. I'll let you know what it is when I either make it happen or realize its not doable. Some may be wondering, "before your trip?" There is never a perfect time to do the big things in life. If I can do it right, it will provide me with a little income while I am traveling without requiring a lot of time commitment.
Lastly, I wanted to give you a little insight into the corporate world. Recently I had the fortune of getting a review. These things are fun in the classical sense. Here's what I gathered:
It is more important to be perceived as doing something than to actually be doing it in reality.
Look like you are doing something even when you aren't. That goes. for everything such as listening, working, and helping others.
Don't try to do anything better than anyone else, especially if they are your boss. It will be considered an insult and arrogant. Remember that this giant corporation got there without you, and any creativity or ingenuity will be encouraged by the company but frowned upon by everyone above you.
Double-speak is the norm and you are expected to be able to navigate your bosses constantly moving targets.
Anyway, have a nice week. It'll write again when I have time.
D Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment