06 November, 2010

Brothers Home, Cartagena Here

 I know it`s been a little while since my last post. Quite frankly, I really haven`t felt like posting. That is mainly due to the fact that I`ve been more interested in meeting people and spending time with Dan and Ed.
Here`s a brief recap of what has gone down in the last week:


We took a tour for 15 bucks that included snorkeling, torturing dolphins, and lazying around on the beach.  The beach was the best part. The snorkeling wasn`t great cause visibility was crappy and there wasn`t a ton of aquatic life to see. The first part of the tour was really awful. We, and about 8 other boats, went by boat over to a dolphin breeding area and chased them around with the boat trying to get them to surface for pictures. I highly recommend against doing these tours. Mainly cause the dolphin part. If you do, cause they are cheap, be aware that Red Frog beach has food and drinks and isn`t outrageously overpriced food that they take you to during the lunching hour - hold out. Red Frog beach was cool and I recommend checking it out. There are poisoness frogs that you can hike a few minutes to see that are tiny and bright red. Can`t find any? Little local kids will have no doubt captured some and show you them, (looking is free, pictures will cost you).
That day was Day of the Dead and no alcohol was served anywhere. Some bars were planning on opening at midnight, so we made some Canadian friends that night and went out with them that night. Ended up having a good time and decided to rent some bikes the next day to ride to a beach on Isla de Colon outside the town. We hung out with them again that night. We decided we wanted to leave on Thursday evening, via the direct bus, so we went to talk to the lady and found out that it was booked through till Monday. This left me with a dilema: on Friday, try to piece together indirect buses to Panama City or pay $100 bucks to fly out. Most of my friends responded that I should fly out so that I have time to see Panama City and to guarantee not missing my connecting flight to Cartagena the next day (Saturday). I opted to fly.
Panama City is a funny site. It has an enormous amount of skyskrapers and appears to continue to be building more. However, that area is expensive and the cool place to visit is the old city or Caso Viejo. We walked around a bit there and it`s pretty. We also got to see inside the presidents house. He has a fucking white stork chilling in the middle of his entry. Something that was a surprise, there was good cheap food there. Saw the canal today before our flights out. It`s neat, but it is just a glorified version of the Ballard locks. Don`t get me wrong, it`s impressive to see the massive tankers going through, but I wouldn`t add it to your bucket list.


Oh, and in Bocas, I don`t know how the diving was, but I dissuaded to go cause of the visibility during snorkelling. However, diving in Bocas del Toro is SUPER cheap.

Even though the cab driver from the airport fucked me today - he dropped me off at the complete opposite side of Cartagena from where I told him (partly because of a festival going on, partly because a big ass storm from yesterday with road flooding, and partly because I bargained his fare cheap) - I am safely at my hostel and hungry.
D

No comments:

Post a Comment