08 November, 2010

Reflections from Central America

I`ll likely try to do some sort of relfection after I`ve been somewhere - something other than just a recap of what is going on and more geared to what I felt, how I am feeling now, and any insights I can come up with.
Central America was such a blur, each week in a different country, that I don`t think reflecting country by country was possible or fair to the country. So, this is kinda just a general cover of the last three weeks.

Central America (CA), at least the places I went, is a place that I don`t really have a strong desire to return. There are exceptions, of course, like I`d go to Costa Rica (CR) again and go north to the Volcano and to the Atlantic coast and the North Pacific part. I`d also travel slower through CR - I think a minimum for CR might be 6+ weeks. Also, there are two Islands in the Pacific that I`d like to dive - one in CR and one in Panama (PA). I liked PA a lot because it was cheap, more modern, and beautiful. However, not as friendly as CR, and there was only a few things I missed that I`d like to have done. I`d probably give PA another shot with a couple weeks to see the places I missed. If I had unlimited time on this trip, I`d give it about 4 weeks to see everything and have down/error time. I doubt I`d go back to Belize unless it was part of a Mayan Ruin route through several of the countries. It has chill beaches, which are laid back and great (plus diving), but I imagine there are many places like that that I haven`t been and would be higher on my to do list. Don`t get me wrong, I`m glad I went, but in my opinion, if I had an extra week there, I`d have seen the whole country and be bored by the end.
In truth, CA raised few future adventures for me (the diving and whatnot I mentioned). The cultures were`t particularly anything new or shocking (other than the poverty) and were more similar than different. In many respects, that is one of the purposes of this trip - to see what is out there, what else I may want to do, and what really blows my hair back.

Now that my brothers are gone, I`ve been trying to guess at what South America (SA) holds for me. In some ways, CA makes me a little weary that SA may disappoint. However, from what I`ve heard, I don`t think it will.

I`m starting to understand the difference between binge travel and vagabonding (long-term travel). By that I mean, it`s easy to read the difference and understand it on that level, but I`m beginning to understand it on the real level; it`s no longer theory. It`s like understanding the Panama Canal versus seeing it. I`m beginning to see it. That being said, I am still working through getting the binge travel out of my system. It`s hard though because we are so used to having such a limitted time in one area. It makes sense then, that we have it so engrained into how we travel as Americans. But, it is so much less rewarding. There were some pitfalls to having my brothers traveling with me in that sense. There were at least 3 occasions that we took the easy way out, and more costly way, because there was limited time to get places. For example, taking a taxi from Domincal to Pavones, or flying from Bocas to Panama City. Having time brings about freedom and one of the advantages of that freedom is that it is cheaper to travel.
I find myself constantly questioning what is travel? What`s the purpose behind it? Yes, it is to see/experience things or cultures, but there is something else to it; something more primal. Maybe time will bring answers, and right now I don`t really care because I`m still adjusting to it anyway. And let me tell you, this kind of travel requires much adjusting. It isn`t for the faint of heart.
I also find myself questioning what the appropriate amount of time in one place? Or, what is the appropriate amount of activities to fill my days with? This is again because of the binge traveling affect and I know it will go away with time. I did get some advice which helped. It went along the lines of, you`ll bounce around from spot to spot on a brisk pace for awhile. Then, you`ll find a place that suits you and you`ll stay for a month.

I`m beginning to understand hostels. Even though the beds and rooms are generally shittier than hotels, I have grown to mostly prefer them. I say almost only because there isn`t any standard (that`s a good thing). Some don`t fit the mood you`re in. Some are party, some are quiet, some are mixed. However, you can meet great people from all over, and the staff is generally helpful. For the most part, they understand what you`re doing and help.

Some misc. things I`ve learned so far -
Talk to as many people as you can - about everything.
If you want to save money or want to do certain activities (when you are traveling alone), ou need to not have time frames. In CA, and I`m guessing elsewhere, things don`t operate on your time.
Rum will give you a hangover regardless of the amount consumed.
My body hates not eating Paleo.

Miss yall,
D

1 comment:

  1. You in Columbia yet? I'm ready to see some pics of some MAMACITAS!

    ReplyDelete