16 October, 2011

Holland, London, and a Quarterly Check-in

Even though this is my one year check-in, I'm going to try to keep this one brief. I left Ostend a couple days after writing the last post. I needed some slow down time and it offered it. I mainly just kept to myself, walking the beach when the sun was out and eating when it wasn't. They have a sweet park there that I spent some time in. I even got the room to myself on the last night. When I left it was with the intention to go to Antwerp, but every thing was booked up. So was Amsterdam.

I was able to get a hostel about 30 km outside Amsterdam, on the beach. I stayed two nights and spent my days on the beach again. There is surfing and kite surfing there and the town is very quaint. I kinda wanted to stay a bit longer, esp because I made some really good friends (Jeff from OZ, 
However, they were going to Amsterdam the next day after me, so we all met up later anyway. Amsterdam was quite interesting. We walked the red light district a bit, which is awesome. While its not the only one in the world, sure, but it definitely is the most interesting one I've seen. Part is along a canal, which almost makes it seem classy. The red light district has sections so that you can easily find your preference. It's also fun to just sit and watch the dudes trying to negotiate, esp when the girl turns them away. There were a couple times when I had to question myself, if I had the money, and since it's legal and acceptable, would I get one. Most of the time I was able to right out say no, but there were a couple times when I couldn't answer at all. We also visited coffee shops, taking full advantage of the legality of pot. We saw a live sex show, which was too disturbing to write about, esp when high. We saw a dude hovering. We had truffles. Went to the flower market. Walked by Anne Frank's old house (too many people and too much money for me to go in). We took a boat tour of the canals at dusk, which was funny because by this time the group had dwindled to just me, Jeff and Tommy and the tour was on a "love boat". Speaking of the canals, that is where Amsterdam really shines. All the other stuff is nice, but the canals are amazing, especially by water, so I spent most of my alone time just hanging out around them.
It was really great hanging out with those guys and gals, but London was calling. I stayed with Andy, a work colleague from GC. Back about 4 years ago I was in an intensive training program and they sent several reps from the London branch. I stayed at Andy's place, but met up with a few of the other guys, Dave, Mark, and Jimmie. Naturally, we had some phenomenal curry and a pretty wild night out. Jimmie was on fire to say it nicely.
My days I spent seeing things like big Ben, the parliament house, buckingham palace, the tower of London, having my flop break and walking London barefoot, etc. I also tried a couple traditional pubs, watching a Man U vs. Liverpool soccer match and drinking a bitters. One evening I went to Camden st to check out some live music, but ended up not finding any place that had music I wanted. Instead, I met some Brits, Tom, Pete and Pete, who took me under their wing for an hour or so. London seems alright. It definitely has some fun things about it, but its still just a city. Today, I moved hostels to a suburb called New Cross Gate and found I liked it out there more than the other places I stayed. Just seemed more authentic.
Tomorrow night I am taking a sleeper train to Inverness. I am contemplating trying to see stonehenge, but with where I am and checking out and a couple other reasons, I might just put it off for another visit.
OK, now for my quarterly check-in.
Body: my health is fairly good. I had some stomachs issues in Belgium, which basically kept me around the hostel during the lunching hour. That has pretty much gone away, so that's good. I've been quite tired lately and can't see to catch up on sleep. I think it may have to do with my poor diet of nonstop carbs. But those two things are relatively minor really. My knee still bothers me from time to time.
Mind: I haven't really been cultivating my mind. I have been having trouble finding time or comfortable places to do quiet reflection. I'm still reading, but at a slower pace than before. My writing has obviously because more sparse. The one thing I can say that's positive about this subject is that I've had many deep, meaningful conversations in Europe and it has been wonderful hearing these points of view.
I'm ready to come home, though still have more time. I'm excited at the prospect of starting an adventure at home. It's time to put into practice all that I've learned. Still, I'm trying not to focus on it and live in the moment. My travels will not be done when I return, nor will this blog. Obviously, it will change focus to things like simplicity living, lifestyle design, following your dreams, back to basics, my spiritual progress, and topical discussions, but rest assured, if you are following this because its the travel part that is interesting to you, I have a minimum of 7 more big trips I will do and several particular ones that will probably be only a few months here and there. Oh yeah, and living in new places within and without the States.
Spiritual: I haven't really had any overt experiences with chi other than the butterfly thing. But, it makes sense because the pace here is faster and its easy to be distracted, and chi requires sensitive focus. I look forward to being in one spot for some time so that I can focus more in this direction.
That's all I got for now. If I can think of anything else, I'll post it as comments. Later,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment