03 August, 2011

Quarterly Update 3, A Little Late

Sorry this is a bit late. I hit 9 months on my birthday and there was no way I was writing then or the following day. Then, I was traveling, then I was behind on some other posts, and then I didn't have access to a computer. I am going to include the last couple weeks in this, so consider it a quarterly update, plus Turkey. I still didn't when I "wrote" this post. I used the speech to text function on my phone and am borrowing a computer from a guy at my guesthouse. That means that this will probably be full of spelling and formatting errors. So without further ado:


Health - my health is been pretty good. with the exception of 1 more bout of food poisoning in Turkey, which was not that bad as far as food poisoning goes, I haven't really had had to deal with any sickness.
My external health is a little bit different, but still pretty good. I tweaked my knee a little on the Gibbon Experience and it is been bothering me slightly. About 4 years ago I had tendonitis in my left knee and this feels exactly the same, even the same knee. I've started doing some stretching to see if that will help alleve it. In doing these stretches I've realized that I've lost almost all flexibility I ever had gained. All that yoga and crossfit, totally gone. I can't touch my toes from a standing, legs straight position, nor do any of the soccer stretching without discomfort. Okay, so it's not all my flexibility, my shoulders and back haven't lost any, but my legs and hips have none, although for some reason I can still squat to ground for length without any problems. I think most of the problem is coming from how tight my hip flexers are. I've always had problems with lower body flexibility but now I know this is gonna be something I'm gonna have to do the rest of my life so that I don't become decrepit. I don't think I'll go back to yoga, as its purpose is more to ready the body for meditation, and crossfit did the job pretty well. I also think I might take up tai chi which will help to that end.
Foods - I did not eat bugs while in southeast asia because they seemed more like tourist attractions in anything the actual locals ate, but I did eat a venomous snake and its still beating heart from its chest. I also tried durian; the smelliest fruit on earth. Seriously, they have laws about it being in public places. It is wild looking with large soft spikes over it. It's pretty big, so they sell cut up portions. I tried a very tiny piece of somebody's. I didn't throw up, but it crossed my mind.
I do have to give special mentioned to Thai food. It is really that good, even know they won't spice it up to their standard for a phalang. Still, it isn't the best food in the world like some people make it out to be. There are hidden sugars in most dishes. However, it is up there with some of the best. Of the countries of been to and the food that I've had I would rank it with Argentinian and Chilean/Peru.
Funds - dangerously low. I have about $4,500k left of my budgeted amount and that has to also pay a ticket home. I have hinted that I might have a job lined up in London, if that goes through I'll have plenty of money and the whole budget issue will be irrelevant.
Things I've learned - for the first time in my life I feel like I'm finally seeing things clearly, like a vail has been lifted off my eyes. I feel like I've learned answers to questions I didn't have. But, they are the big truths and questions of life. Why are we here? or what's our purpose? How does the universe works (not in a mathematical meaning)? And, what does it take to become a ladyboy hooker? All these little dots, truths about the world, from all these different places are all coming together. Books, people, experiences, conincedences, etc.
Things that once seemed ridiculous to me, seem plausible. The endless possibilities of life seem easily obtainable. Not because I'm special, but because I'm looking at things from a different angle/perspective, something that anyone can do and see.
After finding a book on Taoism, but more specifically about chi and eastern disciplines that deal with it (thai chi, accupuncture, yoga, to name a few), I found that I might be Taoist. Who knew? I was in no way looking to find any spiritualism, but some of the things I experienced, unintentionally, really peaked my curiousity. Enter a series of conditioned random events, led me to Tao, which seemed to be in line with exactly what I experienced and doesn't upset my delicate principles or reasoning.
Thoughts - Of SE Asia, Laos was my favorite country. Vietnam was okay, and I'd give another chance to Cambodia. Laos had the nicest people and wasn't over touristed. It had the nicest town I stayed (Luang Prabang). I didn't like thailand that much. The southern part, in the islands was nice, I definitely go back there, but other than that the rest of the places I went were small versions of Bangkok, which I hated. Maybe it was just that Ivy wasn't with me anymore, but I just didn't like the last couple weeks I was in Thailand. I kept thinking, this is too easy, too similar. kind of like, why am I here? I imagine that I'll go to south Thailand again, but maybe as part of a trip to somewhere else. As far as SE Asia as a whole, I liked a good portion of it, but none of it was a place I could see myself spending a long time in - as in want to live at some point.
Turkey was fucking awesome. The people are absolutely great; funny, welcoming, and everything one could hope for. Plus, it has a great atmoshpere becasue it is a stir fry of east and west. Mostly Muslim, but has also changed hands so many times that it is just nuts; in a good way. On TV there'll be scantily clad women in shows or really racy things, but then you'll step outside and a quarter of the women are wearing Burkas. Also, the environment and history and how they feel entertwined. Ah, it's cool. For a better explanation, you can read about it more in the post I hope to get out in the day or two.
Gear - I had to get a new pair of flops and a new backpack. Making the total of each 4 broken pairs. Also, I had to replace my blue shorts cause they had a rip in the crotch.

Ok, that's it. Short and sweet. I hope to get a Turkey post out tomorrow or following. At least before I leave Chios, Greece (where I am now). Take it easy.
D

No comments:

Post a Comment