27 May, 2010

Yellow Fever and Other Trip Updates

I received my Yellow Fever vaccination yesterday. Why didn't I get it with my other ones? It's a live vaccination, which means there is a chance I could catch yellow fever (yes, I understand the comical implications of what I just said), and it is required that you mustn't get another vaccination of any sort within 4 weeks prior and probably afterward. So this means that I just have 1 hepatitis shot left, which I'll get in a few months. Then, I'm all cleared. However, I will need to go back to my doctor to have him fill out a "Yellow Book." What this is is "proof", that I got vaccinated for my trip, and will be scrutinized by customs agents in most countries. I have to return to the doctor because I didn't learn about the Yellow Book until the yellow fever vaccination, and he didn't fill one out for any of the vaccinations I got. Plus, it'd probably be a good idea to get my blood type since I don't know it (crazy right?).

I was hoping to post my flight itinerary last or this week, but my travel agent had to have some sort of emergency surgery. That's the vague term he used. I will be calling STA to see if I can get transferred over to someone else because I haven't heard back from him for about 2 weeks. I have no idea if he is OK or when he'll be returning. Maybe the stress from finding tickets for my trip gave him a heart attack. Mostly kidding. Anyway, it's starting to get close to need the itinerary time because I need to start filling out visa applications and some countries require your itinerary before they will even consider looking at your application. It's so that they are comfortable that you aren't trying to stay in the country and not just traveling. I printed New Zealand's visa app and it's 17 fucking pages long. I haven't looked at it in depth because the length was intimidating, but I hope that it is only a subsection that I will have to fill out. Brazil requires that I go through an agency. All in all, it looks like visas will cost me about $600 and will probably take a couple months to get the ones that require getting ahead of time done. Others, like all of southern Asia, I'll have to get while I'm in Australia because I have to get them ahead of time, but they are only good for a few months after issue.

Oh, the fun of planning...
Until next time,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment